Bath School of Art and Design at Bath Spa University, in collaboration with the Sidney Nolan Trust, is offering three PhD fee waiver studentships in Art and Design to start in the academic year 2017/18.
The studentships will provide:
- A full tuition fee waiver for 3.5 years
- A support fund of £1800 which may be used during the period of the studentship, to support research activities and/or resources such as specialist training, equipment or conference attendance
- Access to a wide-ranging Researcher Development programme
- Opportunities to develop teaching skills by participating in Bath Spa's Graduate Teaching Assistant Scheme which includes registration on the CPLHE course, which leads to HEA accreditation.
We encourage applications for practice-based and/or theory-based research topics in these areas supported by our tremendous community of research active staff. For more details of their research interests please see the links below:
For more details of the Sidney Nolan Trust, a charity devoted to the life and work of this internationally celebrated artist based at The Rodd near Presteigne in Wales, please visit the Trust’s website.
Dr Graham McLaren, Head of Research at Bath School of Art and Design will be available to answer queries regarding these opportunities during the week beginning 14 August 2017.
How to apply
The application deadline is midnight on Friday 1st September, for a start date of 1 October 2017.
For an application form, together with full details of how to apply, see our Research Degrees page. (Please state on the application form that you are applying for a Fee Waiver Studentship in BSAD.)
In addition to the application form you will need to provide:
- For practice-based proposals, an electronic portfolio of not more than twelve of your works together with an example of your writing (e.g. academic essay or thesis)
- For theory-based proposals, a sample of your work, such as an essay, part of a dissertation, or a paper (no more than 3,000 words) on your proposed topic
- For creative practice-led projects, some of the submitted work may be existing creative work
- Copies of your degree certificates and transcripts
- Two academic references are required and the forms and information to forward to nominated referees are contained within the application form.
If you are already engaged in an application with Bath Spa and wish to be considered for this Fee Waiver Studentship, please enquire at PGRadmissions@bathspa.ac.uk
English language requirements
If English is not your first language, please include evidence of your linguistic ability. Our English Language Requirements are explained here.
- The fee waiver studentship is available to individuals applying for a first Postgraduate Research programme. Applications from individuals who have already been awarded a PhD are not eligible.
- Applications for PhD by Publication are not eligible.
- The studentship is not transferable or deferrable to commence outside of the academic year 2017/18.
- Late or incomplete applications will not be considered.
- This Studentship is available both to Home/EU and International applicants. International students, however, have to pay the difference between UK/EU fees and International student fees.
- Fee Waiver Studentships are normally available to campus-based students only. The student must live within a reasonable distance from the University to ensure that they are able to maintain regular contact with their department and their supervisor unless otherwise agreed by the supervisory team.
- Students will need to demonstrate their ability to fund their living costs.
- Applicants are expected to have a proven track record in terms of prior study and/or relevant professional practice. Applicants will normally be expected to hold a Master's degree and this must have been awarded before an application is submitted.
- The main assessment criteria will be academic excellence. The fee waiver is not intended to act as hardship or financial relief and justification on these grounds in the application will be discounted.
- Studentship holders are usually expected to contribute to research forums and researcher development workshops.
- The Fee Waiver Studentships will not be extended or renewed beyond the original term.
- The fee waiver is applied to the published fee for the course of study the studentship holder has been accepted for. This does not extend to any bench fees or other charges for which the studentship holder may be liable, including penalty charges for the late payment of fees beyond the period of funding.
- Studentship holders will be expected to submit for examination and be examined within within the duration of the studentship.
- Once a period of study has commenced, should a studentship holder be granted an authorised period of suspension their fee waiver will be similarly suspended and will be recommenced on the resumption of studies. Should the studentship holder withdraw from their studies, the fee waiver will be terminated. Any refunds owing to studentship holders will be calculated against fees actually paid. Please also note that on resumption of studies after a period of suspension studentship holders will need to complete re enrolment procedures for the entire academic year. The fee waiver will in some cases only cover a part of that academic year’s fee and studentship holders will be liable to pay their remaining fees in advance.