In my work I use a broad range of media including sculpture, installation, film and photography. My practice investigates the formation and historical dissemination of cultural constructs around the natural world, focusing particularly on landscape representations within the Northern European Romantic tradition and today’s notions of the Sublime. Central to the work is the human interest and relationship to landscape and its images used metaphorically for human psychology.
PHOTO CREDIT: BEN JONES
- MA Chelsea School of Art and Design, London
- BA(Hons) Goldsmiths' College University of London
- Senior Research Fellow 1998-2001 UWIC, Cardiff
- Professor of Fine Art, Bergen Academy of Art and Design (KHiB), Norway.
- 2012/13 Bergen Academy of Art and Design (KHiB), Norway, visiting Professor
- 1996-97 Tower Hamlets College (Digital Image Creation/ Manipulation), London
- 1991-92 Chelsea College of Art and Design (MA Sculpture), London
- 1987-90 Goldsmiths’ College (BA Hons Degree), London
- 1985-7 Crawford College of Art and Design, Cork, Ireland
- 2010 The Fourth Plinth, shortlisted artist
- 1998-01 Senior Research Fellow in Fine Art, UWIC, Cardiff, UK
- 1998 Henry Moore Sculpture Fellowship, Spike Island, Bristol, UK.
- Tate Membership.
- Sculpture, Painting, Media.
Currently researching and developing project in Greenland and South West Indian Ocean. Investigating 'Unknown and Unmapped Landscapes'. Funded by the Arts Council of England, Bath Spa University and Brighton Festival, HOUSE.
- Staffordshire University, external examiner since 2010.
Other external roles
- Brighton Festival, lead artist for HOUSE
- Advisory panel Arts Council Collection 2003-6.
Selected conference speaker/ discussion/ workshop participation
- 2012 Revisiting Histories: Exploring Tensions between Tradition and Innovation. in conversation with art historian Mark Cheetham, The Courtauld Institute of Art Research Forum. 2012 Frank Davis series: ‘The Quick and the Dead’
- ‘Towards a Contemporary Sublime’ with sculptor Mariele Neudecker – workshop at Firestation Dublin
- "re-presenting experience - a study of a figure in a landscape", For-Site Foundation in Nevada City, CA, USA
- 2010 Space and Desire, Zurich University of the Arts ZHdK, Switzerland (publ)
- Provenance, Bath Spa University, UK (publ)
- 2008 Beauty, Land/Water and the Visual Arts, University of Plymouth, UK (publ)
- The New Art Centre Towada, Towada, Japan
- Wonder, Singapore –Biennale Conference (publ.), Singapore
- 2005 Nature in the Kingdom of Ends, Selfoss, Iceland (publ).
- 2012 (2000) recognition of Professor status (freelance) Bergen Academy of Art and Design, khib, Bergen (Trondheim)
- 2012 Sculpture for Norwich, public art commission, Norwich, UK
- 2013 Leadartist, HOUSE, Brighton Festival, UK.