We take our responsibility to protect the environment very seriously.
Bath Spa University has participated in the People and Planet Green League table since 2009, achieving two top 10 positions in that time.
The University was ranked 1st out of 46 universities participating in the Student Barometer (a survey conducted around the world) in the Autumn Wave 2016 for “Eco-friendly attitude”.
We manage our environmental impacts through the internationally recognised standard ISO14001, which specifies requirements for an effective environmental management system (EMS) covering all activities and sites.
Our Sustainability Policy sets out the aim to minimise our impacts and continually improve environmental performance, and our Sustainability Strategy shows how we will deliver this focused on 7 key themes:
Education for a sustainable future
- Education for Sustainability Committee Terms of Reference
- Sustainable Travel Plan and policy
- Bike Policy
Health and wellbeing
Around campus in all our publicly accessible buildings you’ll find mains-fed water fountains. We provide these not only for people’s health and wellbeing but also to reduce our dependence on single-use disposable bottles of water.
The Student’s Union at Bath Spa also has a strong sustainable and ethical ethos and they have signed up to the NUS Green Impact Award.
Environmental Steering Group
The Environmental Steering Group (ESG) is responsible for:
- Overseeing the direction of sustainability at Bath Spa
- Reviewing relevant policies and strategies
- Reporting compliance of environmental audits along with recommendations and corrective actions
- Changes in aspects, impacts and changes
- Briefed on any changes to environmental legislation that affect the business
- Reporting on how the University meets its objectives and targets
- Reviews complaints and incidents
Environmental Steering Group Members
Neil Latham – Chief Operating Officer - Chair of ESG
Andy Williams – Deputy Head of Estates and Services
Arlene Stone – Director of Human Resources
Christopher Ellicott – Registrar and Director of Student Services
David Watson – Head of Field: Culture and Environment - CoLA
Jane Wakefield – Head of Communications
John Beaver – Director of Information Technology Services
John Strachan – Vice-Provost Research and Enterprise
Julian Greaves – Sustainability Manager
Kate Rigby – Professor of Environmental Humanities – Research and Graduate Affairs
Kerry Curtis – Assistant Dean BSAD
Louise Thacker – Students' Union Representative (Environment
and Ethics Group)
Mark McGuinness – Assistant Dean: Strategy and Planning - CoLA
Richard Jordan – Head of Estates
Sara Cundy – Sustainability Co-ordinator
Sarah Dawes – Chief Executive Officer Students’ Union
Susan Hammond – Student Experience & Enterprise Manager
In attendance/circulation of papers
Jane Conibere – PA to Chief Operating Officer (Minutes)
Meet the Sustainability Team
- Neil Latham – Chief Operating Officer
Chair of the Environmental Steering Group and overall responsibility for the University's sustainability strategic direction.
+44 (0)1225 876612
- Julian Greaves – Sustainability Manager.
Developing the University’s Sustainability Strategy, Energy & Environmental Management.
+44 (0) 1225 875846
- Sam Henderson – Energy Performance Officer
Energy data analysis, BMS Optimisation, Support for Sustainability Manager
+44 (0) 1225 875846
- Sara Cundy – Sustainability Co-ordinator
Support for EMS Manager, lead officer for sustainable transport, food, Fairtrade, Environmental activities and programmes communications, staff and student engagement, working with Student Community Partnership.
+44 (0)1225 876282
- Laura Faulkner – Sustainability Assistant
Assisting Sustainability Team generally, with specific responsibility for Warp-it and car-share
+44 (0)1225 876325
- Michael Tarran – Assistant Manager, Portering
Key role in directing waste and recycling operations, responsible for maintaining waste records
+44 (0)1225 875765
- David Tinkham – Technical Manger, Bath School of Art and Design (BSAD)
Operational management, co-ordinating protocols for environmental protection at Sion Hill & BSAD satellite sites including hazardous waste management.
+44 (0)1225 875475
- Penny Snowden – Grounds Manager
Grounds management, implementation of Biodiversity and Habitat Management Plan, pollution prevention
+44 (0)1225 876249
- Ceri Davies – Technical Demonstrator, College of Liberal Arts (COLA)
Responsible for hazardous waste at Newton Park
- Kate Rigby – Professor of Environmental Humanities
Education for a Sustainable Future Lead
+44 (0)1225 875626
- Green Communicators – Student Employees
Communicating sustainability issues to their peers.
Please sign-up with the JobShop to be notified of any upcoming vacancies to the team.
- Green Communicator – Student Placement
Sustainability related project work: every year we offer the opportunity for a current student to spend an extended period of time working with the team on a specific project related to Sustainability at Bath Spa. Please contact Sara Cundy for more information.